At the American Association of Geographers 2021 Annual Meeting held virtually in April 2021, the Geomorphology Specialty Group was pleased to announce the following awards:
G.K. Gilbert Award for Excellence in Geomorphological Research
- Samuel Munoz, Liviu Giosan, Matthew Therrell, Jonathan Remo, Zhixiong Shen, Richard Sullivan, Charlotte Wiman, Michelle O’Donnell, and Jeffrey Donnelly for “Climatic control of Mississippi River flood hazard amplified by river engineering“, 2018, Nature, 556, doi:10.1038/nature26145 Citation by Reuben Heine.
Mel Marcus Distinguished Career Award
- Dr. Randy Schaetzl – Michigan State University
Reds Wolman Student Research Awards
- Ph.D.: John Kemper (Colorado State University): Sediment-ecological connectivity: establishing the links between tributary morphological processes and downstream riparian vegetation dynamics. Advisor: Sara Rathburn.
- M.S: Taylor Johaneman (University of Colorado Boulder): Geomorphic and ecological responses to human modification of the Fremont River, Capitol Reef National Park, Utah. Advisor: Katherine Lininger.
Graduate Student Paper Awards
- Ph.D.: Sumaiya Siddique (Louisiana State University): Assessing over 100-years of geomorphic and anthropogenic alterations on the Grand River, Michigan. Advisor: Kory Konsoer
Undergraduate Poster Award
- Trung Tran (Louisiana State University): A classification of neck cutoffs incorporating cutoff centerline curvature based on a global database of meandering rivers. Advisor: Kory Konsoer