The Melvin G. Marcus Distinguished Career Award
- The GSG Awards Committee invites nominations for the GSG’s the Melvin G. Marcus Distinguished Career Award. The award is presented to an individual who has made significant contributions to geomorphology over his/her career. Nominations for the Melvin G. Marcus Distinguished Career Award remain active for five years. The award will be distributed during the 2021 AAG Annual Meeting, held virtually this year from April 7-11, 2021.The nomination package should include in a single PDF file with nominee’s name included in the file name (ex., “JDoe_MarcusAward”):
1. A brief description of the candidate’s contribution to geomorphology,
2. A brief biographic sketch,
3. A select bibliography, and
4. Three letters of support from colleagues.
To be considered for the 2021 award, the Awards Committee must receive the nomination package and any supporting documentation by February 19, 2021.
Please submit materials electronically to the Awards Committee Chair: Kory Konsoer (email@example.com).
Past Recipients of the
Melvin G. Marcus Distinguished Career Award
- Ellen Wohl. (Colorado State University). Citation by Anne Chin
- Heather Viles. (University of Oxford). Citation by David Butler.
- Patricia McDowell. (University of Oregon). Citation by Frank Magilligan
- Jonathan Phillips. (University of Kentucky). Citation by Don Johnson and Randy Schaetzl.
- Richard A. Marston. (Kansas State University). Citation by L. Allan James and W. Andrew Marcus.
- Carol P. Harden. (University of Tennessee). Citation by Anne Chin.
- Bruce L. Rhoads. (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign). Citation by Gary Parker.
- Michael (Mike) Woldenberg. (University at Buffalo / SUNY Buffalo). Citation by Frank Magilligan.
- David R. Butler. (Texas State University). Citation by George P. Malanson.
- Michael A. Church. (University of British Columbia). Citation by Frank Magilligan and Judy Haschenburger.
- John F. (Jack) Shroder. (University of Nebraska-Omaha). Citation by David Butler.
- Karl W. Butzer. (University of Texas). Citation by Timothy Beach.
- William L. Graf. (University of South Carolina). Citation by Jeff Lee.
- John D. (Jack) Vitek. (Texas A&M University). Citation by W. Andrew Marcus and Richard A. Marston.
- Stanley W. Trimble. (University of California – Los Angeles). Citation by Andy Ward, read by Bruce Rhoads.
- Donald Johnson. (University of Illinois at Urbana – Champaign). Citation by Randy Schaetzl and Jennifer Horwath.
- Norbert Psuty. (Rutgers University). Citation by Will Graf.
- Athol Abrahams. (SUNY – Buffalo.) Citations by Frank Magilligan and Anne Chin and others.
- Anthony Orme. (University of California – Los Angeles). Citation by Vatche Tchakerian and Julie Laity.
- James C. Knox. (University of Wisconsin – Madison). Citation by Allan James.
- Jack D. Ives. (Carleton University, Ottawa) Citation by Carol Harden.
- Dick Reeves. (University of Arizona). Citation by Dick Marston.
- No award given.
- Nicholas Lancaster. (Desert Research Institute – Reno, Nevada). Citation by Vatche Tchakerian.
- Derek Ford. (McMaster University). Citation by David Butler.
- Harold A (Duke) Winters. (Michigan State University). Citation by W. Andrew Marcus.
- Theodore M. Oberlander. (University of California – Berkeley). Citation by Ron Dorn.
- M. (Reds) Gordon Wolman. (Johns Hopkins University). Citation by Athol Abrahams.
- Neil Salisbury. (University of Oklahoma). Citation by Will Graf.
- No award given.
- J. Ross Mackay. (University of British Columbia). Citation by Jack Vitek.
- H. J. Walker. (Louisiana State University).